Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Learning Club

"Maintain an enthusiasm for learning throughout your life. Find joy in continuing to learn and in expanding your interests." For the Strength of Youth

Some time ago, some friends and I formed The Learning Club.  We randomly visited professors on campus, asking them to share their research with us. Initially we got strange looks, but once they saw our genuine interest and started answering questions and talking about what they were passionate about, the conversations became very fun and enlightening.  We discussed topics from The Dead Sea Scrolls, to the history of working women, etc, and it was great. At times we met just to share things we had studied and learned.  One result of this club was our blog: http://learningaddiction.blogspot.com/  Some of the links no longer exist and it has been long since forgotten, but I love the idea of it. We had a learning addiction and wanted to continue learning throughout our lives. 

I find learning fascinating because it opens my mind to ideas and possibilities that I didn't know existed. The more I learn, the more I want to learn. Learning, knowledge, understanding, wisdom...it is very empowering. With learning comes understanding, confidence, skills and abilities, independence, joy and the ability to help/bless those around us.
 
A few months ago I met up with one of the original founders of our learning club.  He still has his passion for learning and is now a university professor. He shared with me some of his research and I was reminded of our learning club and how exciting it was/is to learn new things and to study things in order to understand them more. One day I may randomly knock on his door to have him share more of his research :)

Because I work with the youth, I often read from For the Strength of Youth and I love this quote: "He wants you to educate your mind and to develop your skills and talents, your power to act well in your responsibilities, and your capacity to appreciate life."

Learning increases your capacity to appreciate life!  I really believe that, so continue learning my friends and appreciate life!
 

2 comments:

  1. Chante, I love you! You always make me happy. I miss the learning club, I miss our random meetings,I miss knocking on professors doors. I miss the learning club. May the learning club live on forever! Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a learning club. How fun. That is just what I should have been involved in these past 14 years as I have been raising kids. I guess I have been learning in other ways, but my mind feels like mush. If I don't get enough sleep it is really a slippery slope and I feel like I have to shake it to find what I need. Sometimes it still doesn't come. Maybe I will have to start a learning club in my mommy group. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete