Yesterday I flew!
The place: Provo Airport; UVU Aviation facility
The plane: Diamond DA-20 C-1 Evolution
The opportunity: A community course offered through UVU - just a day-camp flight class, but it was awesome.
The first part of the day consisted of some instruction, a short video about the Wright Brothers, a tour of the Hangar and simulators, and some instruction about flight and how it works.
*Bernoulli's principle simplified: As the velocity of fluid increases, pressure decreases (the air over the wing is going faster than the air going beneath the wing, so there is less pressure above, allowing the plane to fly.
*Newton's 3rd principle: For every action, there is an opposite reaction (this helps explain why some planes can also fly upside down for awhile. It also adds efficiency to engines. They work like a balloon. When you release the air out of one end, it propels the balloon forward.
Next was the simulator, where we got to man the controls in a very high-tech flight simulator of a take-off, a couple turns in flight, and a landing.
And finally, we got to go up in the air. The pilot that went up with us did the hard work - most of take off, and the landing, but we got to lift the nose up to take off and got to do the flying. My flying partner did 3 landings with me, which was great fun.
This was a great experience. And considering the activity, was fairly affordable. Last year I took a motorcycle class, and granted, I spent more time on the motorcycle than I did in the plane, but fuel and maintenance is much more expensive than that of a motorcycle I would imagine, and I paid more for the motorcycle class than the airplane class.
Thank you UVU Community classes :)
I challenge you all to go try something new and fun :)
That is so awesome! I love how adventurous you are trying out all these new amazing things.
ReplyDeleteI used to want to be a pilot. Now you can say you have flown and jumped out of a plane. Awesome. What's next on your list?
ReplyDeleteHow did I miss this post??? This is so awesome!!!!!!
ReplyDelete