Sometime around late August/early September of last year I tried my hand at Foosball. I was HORRIBLE and thought after a couple games that I would never get the chance to develop any skill - nobody would want to play with such an unskilled player. Fortunately for me, a tournament was announced and another novice needed a partner; we became the "Wrists of Fury". I soon discovered that many of the newbies played at a level similar to mine. Sadly, we didn't make it far, but we found some regular foos buddies. We celebrated when one of them broke their 1st player by hitting 'with authoritee'. For the next 3 to 4 months, I became a foos junkie. If I didn't get two games a day, something was missing. If it was a foosless day, my life seemed to lose some of its meaning. I loved the game!
Then, as tragic fate would have it, I was banished to a new location with no foos players. My new location did have a pool table and ping-pong table though and also hosted tournaments. I joined them, hoping they could fill the void. I discovered that I enjoyed ping-pong, but sadly, there seemed to be a lack of other enthusiasts of my low skill level (or we were too busy to fit a game in). Finally, after a few months of this dismalness, I found a regular ping-pong partner and a game a day became part of my routine. As in foos, I lacked any impressive skills in ping-pong, but I still loved it and there was somebody who could play near my level. Next thing I knew, I had become a ping-pong junkie. I celebrated when I broke my first paddle!A month ago I was again relocated to a place of both foos and ping-pong. I had been reconnected with some of the old foos friends. I wondered which would prevail, foos or ping pong. I had a glorious reunion game of foosball and loved every minute of it. Though a bit rusty, I had maintained some of the skill I had developed. I found another ping-pong partner who is patiently coaching me along. All I can say is that I wish there was more time to play in a day.
I have discovered that it probably doesn't matter what the game/sport is, if it provides a fun distraction, a chance to be a bit active (which is much needed when you have a desk job), and provides opportunity to interact with people and develop and strengthen friendships, I'll love it!
Now THOSE are my types of sports :) I love playing them, and am also at a pathetic level. Alas, I have never broken a paddle, and once, a long time ago, I had wrists of fury. :) So, are these at your job? Are any of your playing buddies...boys?? ;) Glad you've found some fun activities and friends to do them with!! Definitely makes life more fun!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you are back to playing with some old buds! Things like that DO make life more enjoyable. Jay is pretty good at ping pong if you ever need a playing buddy or just some practice. Where is your new location? Or did they just move some of your old foo/pong friends to where you are? You will become a champion pong/foo player alas. Hooray! Have loads of fun. Break a racket!
ReplyDelete