A coworker just eloped.
I congratulated her on her wedding and we chatted about the convenience of not worrying about typical wedding preparations that cause a person a whole heap of stress. Her wedding was cheap too, $150 is what she quoted. Now, I've never gotten married, but from talk I've heard, that is a very affordable wedding.
Then I thought, but what about the excitement of anticipating something like a wedding?(granted, it was the 2nd marriage for both of them, so maybe they were done with the whole excitement/anticipation thing...)
I've had this conversation with friends...sometimes the best part of a trip is the anticipation of going on the trip; a few sleepless nights, nervousness about something you are looking forward to but not sure how it will be, excitement of having something marvelous to look forward to.
I think of Christmas as a little kid. It was a day you looked forward to...anticipated; it couldn't come soon enough. It was exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. Now, time goes by so fast, there doesn't seem to be much time to anticipate it. Suddenly it is here, and then gone.
Don't get me wrong, I can thoroughly enjoy a spur-of-the-moment/spontaneous outing. I actually like those moments a lot. But I must say, there is something great in anticipating something you are really looking forward to. It's probably a good way to practice patience too:)
I think a wedding without all the stress would be fabulous. Sure it is great to anticipate and be all excited for something, but sometimes the stress is so overwhelming it makes you forget a lot of the moments you could otherwise have enjoyed or may even alter your good perception of what you thought should have happened. Maybe the thrill of elopement would be another feeling to look forward to. But if you decide to elope, make sure you invite ME. Wouldn't want to miss it.
ReplyDeletehaha, so I'm not referring to weddings per se, but the idea of having something to look forward to in general. Maybe the ideal is to plan in advance to elope so you can look forward to it, but not have to spend the money or deal w/ the stress of putting a wedding together:)
Delete