Tuesday morning K and I were returning from Lehi, where we had helped videotape an adaptation of "The Jungle Book" by a 1st grade class. As we neared our freeway exit, K commented on some buffalo to our right, then on some other animals not native to Utah. I glanced over and noticed them also, and since neither of us are employed and had nothing pressing to get back to, we decided to go on a little adventure and get a better look at the exotic animals.
After a couple of wrong turns, we found a satisfactory route that brought us close to the animals; a small, little-used and broken road that ran near the railroad tracks and proved to be the perfect little road to get us where we wanted to go. We stopped the car, crawled between two train cars, across the tracks, and were greeted by stinky, hairy pigs; we determined that they were wild boar. They were very curious and came to the edge of the fence to look at us. Eventually we decided to climb up the ladder on the train car for a better view from the top of the train. (This was a bit ironic considering that just a few days earlier a few of us, including K, had talked about running on top of a train. I was wearing flip-flops and decided that standing on top of a train was perfectly fine with me. K's research has identified the animals as the following: wild boar, nilgai antelope (India and Pakistan (Asian)), emu, African cow, and eland. My guess is that this might be a farm that raises exotic meat for places like Cabelas.
It was all a great adventure and I appreciated having a little free time to actually take the adventure. I've discovered that I am a person who loves adventure, but that I am not always the best at creating it. Had I been driving by myself, I would have driven straight home and possibly missed what may be the only chance to stand on top of a train car while listening to peacocks make noises. What a tragedy that would have been. I owe a HUGE thanks to people in my life who introduce me to and encourage me to take adventurous opportunities.
As a bit of advice or encouragement to any of you readers: Make time for a good adventure every once in awhile :)
awesome adventure!!!
ReplyDeleteIt was fun. The train got my pants and hands really dirty, but they are all washable:)
ReplyDeleteThat does sound interesting!
ReplyDelete